[texbirds] Bolivar and Galveston on weekend

  • From: David McDonald <dkmmdpa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2014 20:53:10 -0500

Hi Texbirders,

I wanted to find and photo the Little Gull at Rollover pass, so I
went there yesterday. Unfortunately I didn't have my boots, so could
not walk out on the mud flats.

On the way home, I drove around the loop through the town of Port
Bolivar and saw an Osprey on the ground. An unusual location to day the least.

http://www.pbase.com/image/155130875

I decided to try again today and also struck out, but did get some
good photos anyway.

Here was an unfortunate oiled White Pelican on the Bolivar ferry landing.

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/155130458

Pretty in pink. I have seen the pink Elegant Terns in California, but
this was my first time to see a pinkish Sandwich Tern.

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/155130870

An even more pretty in pink are the pair of Franklin's Gulls. I have
not seen them in the spring previously.
Thanks to Joe Fisher for IDing them for me. Sibley says they are
'tinged in pink' but these birds are PINK.

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/155130459

And here is one in a group of Laughing Gulls and Royal Terns to show
how pink they really are.

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/155130843

There were lots of terns in the flock.

here is a Black Tern...    http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/155130876

A lone Caspian Tern...   http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/155130878

And my favorite from when I had a condo on west beach, the Least
Tern....   http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/155130889

As spring was in the air, the birds were mating. Royal
Terns....   http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/155130873

This Sandwich Tern was telling his rivals to back
off....   http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/155130871

And the Laughing Gulls were at it
too...   http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/155130848

As I struck out after 2 hours on the Little Gull, I headed home, but
had to check out LaFitte's Cove.

I had my FOS Summer Tanager...   http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/155130460

and my FOS Indigo Bunting...   http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/155130462

Other birds seen in the half hour were Myrtle, Hooded, Worm-eating
warblers, Blue-headed and Red-eyed Vireos.

  BTW, the guide from High Island was at Rollover Pass and he says
there are 2 Little Gulls there, an adult and the 1st year. He saw
them both on Friday.

Good birding and lets hope for a fall-out!

David McDonald
Friendswood, TX