[texbirds] Bolivar and Anahuac yesterday

  • From: David McDonald <dkmmdpa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 19:28:10 -0600

Hello Texbirders,

The onshore wind has almost pushed the water back over the mud flats
and driven the birds closer to the beach.
I didn't see the Mountain Plover. If anyone has seen it recently,
please email me offline as a group from Sarasota Audubon will be
looking for it on Friday.

At Anahuac, I still have not seen the Vermilion Flycatchers since the
New Year, although there are reports from both Skillern and by the
visitor center.
On the drive to the bay on Frozen Point Road, there were 4 raptors on
fence  posts, a Bald eagle that flew before I could get a photo, a
White-tailed kite, a Kestrel and this cooperative Merlin.

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/159235489

Surprisingly, none of the common raptors, no Red-tailed Hawks or
harriers that would be expected on the fence posts.

Good birding,

David McDonald
Friendswood TX
dkmmdpa@xxxxxxxxx