[texbirds] Bolivar, High Island Jan 5 Mt. Plover, Anna's Hummingbird

  • From: Carolyn Dill <carolyn_dill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Texbirds \(texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx\)" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 18:44:20 -0800

Several note worthy birds were seen today. The mountain plover is still easily
found, acting like a seaside bird, not far from when you leave Retillion Road
on Bolivar Beach. It is getting plenty of food this way so it continues to hang
with the piping and snowy plovers.
Near Boys Scouts Woods, at the corner where there are lots of flowers (rents
out to birders here) I was flagged down to come see a male Anna's Hummingbird
which he said for two weeks has been hanging around there and also visiting the
shrimp plants inside the Scouts Woods (along fence line). I saw it, nice bird!

The last big surprise was a whip-poor-will flushed just past Don's Drip in
Smith Oaks. Never had one here at such a time of the year before. Thought I was
getting a dark screech owl until i saw the long tail flashed the white corners
pattern unique for this species.

Carolyn Dill
Houston