[texbirds] Blanco Co, early Sat

  • From: "Leslie Linehan" <linehanla@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <comalbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 08:00:02 -0500

Male Broad-tailed Hummer, Male Rufous Hummer, and at least 2 immature
Ruby-throats here at first light this morning.  Many Vultures up already
(Turkey and Black)-the big birds like the ridge in my neighborhood when we
get a strong north wind-hopefully I'll see a Zone-tail Hawk before the day
is over.  I had a low fly-by of 6 Corvids that were almost certainly
Chihuahuan Ravens.  They were slimmer than my resident Commons, but croaked
(rather than cawed), and had longish wedge-shaped tails.  Wing beat was
faster than typical Common, as well.  They scooted right on past, rather
than stopping to soar the ridge, so I'm assuming they were migrants.

Leslie

Leslie Linehan
Southern tip of Blanco Co
near the Highway 281/FM306 intersection