[texbirds] Black-throated Blue Warblers in Corpus Christi - Sunday, October 28th

  • From: "Willie Sekula" <williebird22@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 20:35:54 -0500

Today Derek Muschalek and I birded Corpus Christi (Rosehill Cemetery,
Blucher Park & Packery Channel), Mustang Island and Port Aransas (Paradise
Pond & Port A. Birding Center).  We tallied 18 species of warblers (!!)
including a stunning male Black-throated Blue at the Packery Channel Gazebo
water feature/boardwalk (seen at eye level in stunted live oaks 5 feet from
us!!) plus a female on Playa Del Rey street in an oak motte.

Birds of Note:

Chuck-will's-widow 1 (Rosehill)

Rufous Hummingbird 1 (Blucher)

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher 1 (Paradise Pond)

Vermilion Flycatcher 1 (Packery Channel)

Tennessee Warbler 2 (1 each Packery Channel & Blucher)

Orange-crowned Warbler 31`

Nashville Warbler 23

Northern Parula 3 (Rosehill & Packery Channel)

Yellow Warbler 2 (Birding Center)

Black-throated Blue Warbler 1 male & 1 female (Packery Channel)

Yellow-rumped (Myrtle) 7 & (Audubon's) 1

Black-throated Green Warbler 2 (Rosehill)

Pine Warbler 2 (1 immature & 1 female - Rosehill)

Palm Warbler 1 (Packery Channel - in Silverleaf Sunflower)

Black-and-white Warbler 2 (1 each Blucher and Packery Channel)

American Redstart 7

Ovenbird 1 (Blucher)

Northern Waterthrush 2 (Port Aransas)

Common Yellowthroat 4

Hooded Warbler 1 male (Blucher)

Wilson's Warbler 1 (Paradise Pond)

Yellow-breasted Chat 1 (Blucher)

Dickcissel 1 male (Packery Channel)

Chipping Sparrow 3 (Rosehill Hill & Port Aransas)

Vesper Sparrow 1 (Mustang Island)

Lark Sparrow 1 (Mustang Island)

Savannah Sparrow 3

Lincoln's Sparrow 26

White-crowned Sparrow 5

Rose-breasted Grosbeak 1 male (Blucher)

Black-headed Grosbeak 1 first year male (Packery Channel)

Indigo Bunting 9

Pine Siskin 3 (Mustang Island)

Willie Sekula

Falls City