[texbirds] Blackpoll in Lubbock

  • From: Cameron Carver <c.o.carver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 21:52:48 -0500

Greetings,

I had no intention of birding today, but I was able to get a little bit of
work done this afternoon and decided to treat myself to an outing. Good
thing I did. The arboretum was dead, but the berm was quite birdy. I first
found the three male Indigo Buntings that have been around since yesterday.
Then, I spotted a molting male Summer Tanager. Further down the berm I ran
in to a feeding flock of warblers. I saw a bird that I first though may be
Myrtle's Warbler, but it popped out of the mesquite and showed that it was
indeed not a Myrtle's Warbler. Instead, it was a Blackpoll Warbler an
accidental migrant to the region.

While watching and photographing the Blackpoll, a nice young gentleman
offered be some herbal medicine. It's nice to see that the teens of Lubbock
enjoy "nature". Amazingly, he was actually quite interested in the birds. A
mellow interest at best, though.

While talking to the nice man, I found an interesting warbler that I never
got a good look at. May have been a female Yellow, may have been something
more exciting. I may never know. I did have a male Yellow Warbler later in
the day. Overall numbers of warblers is still low.

The strangest sighting of the day was definitely a Wild Turkey walking
around the playa. While they are common in the county, this is the first
time I have seen one at Clapp and it may be a first park record. Wild
Turkey does have a stronghold in the Rush Neighborhood, but I bet this bird
was from the south or southeast and was displaced by the wind and/or hail.

Blackpoll Warbler:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/67238923@N03/7130359673/

Wild Turkey
http://www.flickr.com/photos/67238923@N03/6984275816/