[texbirds] Birdy spot in San Leanna

  • From: "LMarkoff" <canyoneaglej@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 14:27:57 -0500

Please start sending your posts to texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Texbirds,

Coming home the back way from errands a few moments ago I had the pleasure
of happening upon a birdy spot on the northeast corner of Old San Antonio
Rd. and 1626.  It is one of the few big pieces of land that isn't being
developed in that area and it is awash with gorgeous wildflowers, grasses,
and BIRDS.  There were a bunch of Scissor-tailed Flycatchers and Western
Kingbirds zooming all over the place, but the biggest treat were MANY
Dickcissels, and they were SINGING!  I haven't heard a Dickcissel belt out
its song like that since I was at the Quivira NWR in Kansas back in 2003.

If only I had my camera with me I would have been able to get some great
photos of them, for they were perched up and easy to see.  With Indian
Blanket as a backdrop, wow, what a picture that made.  I didn't have time to
stop and scan the whole field, but it was alive with birds!

Btw, lots of leps out there too!

Lori Markoff
far southwest Austin