[texbirds] Birds roosting in High Island's Smith Oaks Ponds

  • From: Winnie <wbburkett@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 09:38:49 -0400 (EDT)

Joanna Freisen and Sandra Moore helped me count. It was a confusing and
interesting evening.

Smith Oaks, Galveston, US-TX
Sep 23, 2013 5:43 PM - 7:33 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.25 mile(s)
Comments:     Counting birds coming to roost and flying over Smith Oaks ponds.
We walk along the side of Claybottom pond at the beginning of the count and
around 1/2 of Smith Pond just before we end of the count. Most of the time is
spent sitting. 40 small white herons were seen that could not be identified due
to low light.
23 species

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck  1
Neotropic Cormorant  618     cormorants have started fall nesting 10 nests were
observed
Anhinga  3
Great Blue Heron  6
Great Egret  223
Snowy Egret  203
Little Blue Heron  92     66 adults 26 juveniles
Tricolored Heron  102
Cattle Egret  363
Green Heron  3
White Ibis  6