[texbirds] Birds at the Nature Discovery Center in Russ Pitman Park

  • From: birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 14:40:25 -0400 (EDT)

Hi everyone,

The rain has brought down some interesting fall migrants - and a variety of 1st
fall plumage warblers.  If you come out to the park today or tomorrow - bring
boots!

In a brief period between the rains this morning we had a small flock and some
other birds:

9/18/14 - AM
Eastern Wood-Pewee - 1
Red-eyed Vireo - 1
Blue-Gray Gnatcatchers - 6+
Tennessee Warbler - 1 - first fall male
Northern Parula - 1 - first fall female
Blackburnian W. - 1 first fall female
Canada W. - 1 First fall female

Yesterday's list 9/17/14 before & after rain:
Mississippi Kite - 1
Broad-winged Hawk - a kettle of 30+  (some were in & just above the trees ab 9
am)
Ruby-throated Hummer* - 4+
Olive-sided Flycatcher* - 1
Eastern Wood-Pewee* - 1
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher - 1 - first fall male plumage
Red-eyed Vireo -1
Blue-Gray Gnatcatchers* - 10+
Tennessee W. - 1
Chestnut-sided W*. - 2 - first yr female plumage
Black & White W* - 2M & 1 F
Worm-eating W - 1-2
Canada W - 2
& the usual residents*

note: * indicates seen on the bird walk.  Other birds seen before and/or after
walk.

Join our free Lunch with the Birds Walks, Wednesdays at noon, through Nov 5,
2014 and monthly birdwalks in the winter.

The Nature Discovery Center is located in Russ Pitman Park, 7112 Newcastle,
between Bellaire Blvd and Evergreen St, just inside Loop 610 in Bellaire TX.

Mary Ann Beauchemin
Senior Naturalist
Nature Discovery Center
mbeauch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
713-667-6550 (phone)
713-667-7654 (fax)

For more information about the Nature Discovery Center, our programs and how
you can support our work, visit www.naturediscoverycenter.org