[texbirds] Birding in the Del Rio Area Today

  • From: "Sheridan Coffey" <dmarc-noreply-modpost@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "sngcanary@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: TexBirds TexBirds Posting <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 00:34:24 +0000 (UTC)

Dear all,Martin Reid and I went to Del Rio today to bird on Vega Verde Road,
just west of the city, along the Rio Grande River. We first birded this road
back in November and have been wanting to go back ever since. The road has some
nice habitat and the stretch of river is gorgeous, crystal clear and fast
flowing. We are enjoying getting some Mexico birds on the other side and have
actually accumulated a Coahuila list of 62 birds in two visits, but since this
is Texbirds, i won't go into that.
On the Texas side we had six White-collared Seedeaters at the end of the road,
eating the tall seeding grasses. There probably were more than that. We also
had a Nashville Warbler, two Bank Swallows, probably 25 Northern Rough-winged
Swallows and nine Herring Gulls. When we got home Martin was going through his
photos and found a California Gull in the mix. Our day list for Vega Verde Rd
was 63 species. I highly recommend this area. I believe it holds tremendous
potential.
Driving home Martin spotted a young adult White-tailed Hawk in Uvalde County,
between Knippa and Sabinal.  Sheridan Coffey
San Antonio, Tx
http://sngcanary1.blogspot.com/
www.flickr.com/sngcanary