[texbirds] Big Bend sightings - 2nd hand

  • From: Heidi Trudell <heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 10:05:22 -0500

Good morning,

Some just folks stopped by the store (Terri and Scott of Pearland)
after a week of birding the region - they reported a good number of
Band-tailed Pigeons from the Window Trail and the following highlights
from Sam Nail Ranch:
Painted Bunting - 2+
Western Tanager
Varied Bunting - 4 +

They did also mention Black-headed Grosbeaks in good numbers, one
Lucifer Hummingbird and a desire to return again next year. I won't
argue that!

Otherwise, we've been hearing Upland Sandpipers overhead since the
beginning of the month and a stray Canyon Wren loitered around town
for a few days before one turned up at Post Park. Many young birds are
making ID interesting, other young birds are not faring as well - only
one Western Kingbird successfully fledged just north of our place, and
one young Cassin's Kingbird found its way to our freezer from the Gage
Gardens with injuries consistent with cat mauling.

Keep calm and carry binoculars,
-h

Heidi Trudell
Marathon, TX

--

Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary
necessities. - Mark Twain