[texbirds] Best kept secret in Texas

  • From: "Collins, Fred (Commissioner Pct. 3)" <Fred_Collins@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 18:54:33 +0000

That Ken Kaufman will be the guest speaker at the Birds and Butterflies of the
Big Bend July 18-22, 2012 at the Gage Hotel in Marathon. They have lots of
other good things and people coming too. Kelly Bryan will band hummers and
artist Gerald Sneed will exhibit art.

But because of the rules that exist on Texbirds those that know about this are
apparently restricted from posting it. I am not criticizing David Sarkozi or
any of the founders or keepers of the list. It's a wonderful list and theirs is
a thankless job. Surely they will all be given special passes to heaven.
Perhaps there is still a valid reason why information about birding
opportunities that are profit driven cannot be advertised.

David recently moved the list to a new server. If the contract does not
prohibit the advertisement of commercial interest, I for one would like to see
that restriction lifted.  I think most of those on the list know who is a
professional guide and likely who they work for. It seems silly that these
professionals, if they chose to participate cannot openly display their
credentials.

I would much rather see the occasional obvious advertisement for a bird related
product or service than all the request to help move 150,000,000,000 from some
Nigerian prince into my bank account.

Well if anybody has any details on this Big Bend thing, maybe David would allow
that posted.

Fred Collins
             (281) 357-5324
Director: Kleb Woods Nature Center