[texbirds] Re: Best Winter (and spring) Hawk-watching in Texas?

  • From: "Rita Clements" <rclements001@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drbirdie@xxxxxxx>, <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 12:38:52 -0500

I have a falconer friend that was driving thru Lockhart, Tx, Sunday, 9th of
this month, on Hwy 183, about a mile north (very close to where the toll
road goes left and 183 (free) goes right, he thought he saw a Krider's
Red-tailed Hawk but he was driving and didn't get a chance to see it real
well.  I (not nearly as experienced as he is) went the next day (Monday) and
there were about 6 Red-tailed Hawks in the area north of Lockhart off of
183,  in about a 4 mile drive.  I don't think I saw what he saw but I was
very surprised there were so many.  You can't get over just anywhere but it
was pretty safe.

I realize this isn't exactly what you meant or asked for but I was so
surprised to see so many I had to mention it.

Rita Clements
Dale, Tx   (Bastrop County)
512-940-4260 (cell)