[texbirds] Baytown Nature Center 2./20/14

  • From: DHanson139@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, salliesherman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Tracey.Prothro@xxxxxxxxxxx, Christina.butcher@xxxxxxxxxxx, MaryAlice.Trumble@xxxxxxxxxxx, Jina.Faith@xxxxxxxxxxx, neverbehindu@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 16:02:37 -0500 (EST)

We did the Baytown Nature Center bird count today and I don;t yet have all
the data put together but we found some good birds. Since it may be late
tonight  or tomorrow morning I thought I would comment on a few of them.

Fox Sparrow - was down the trail that runs past the pond on the North side
and down towards the point where the side walk comes together. It was in
the  edge of the brush around the old dead Giant Ragweed.

Eastern Towhee -  was last seen on the North side of the first  road/trail
you come to as you take the left turn towards the butterfly garden.  It has
been seen 2-3 times in those woods across from the butterfly garden as  well.

2 Song Sparrows - If you park by the Observation Mound and walk straight
East up the old road they were on the road about 3/4 of the way to the East
fence line.

Harris's Sparrow (may have been two) were on the old road that is East or
South East of the pond right where it joins with the East fence line
trail(Golden Bloom Trail) They were hanging with some White-crowned  Sparros.

The White-winged Scoters were not found from Wooster Point or Scott's Bay
Overlook.

The Clay-colored Sparrow was last seen that we know of last Sunday close to
 the pineline station that on your left when you go through the "Y" towards
the  butterfly garden. We did not find it today after looking twice for it.