[texbirds] Bastrop State Park, Post fire survey June 24 (local interest)

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 11:48:51 -0500

  Spent around 5.5 hr.s this morn birding/surveying my route in the back
areas of Bastrop State Park and had just an wonderful time of it.  Even as
the sky was just beginning to brighten around 5:20 or so, there were
already many martins in the sky above, probably from the Austin mega
roost....They get up way early.
  The new growth is just outstanding and there are so many interesting
plants it is hard to keep the mind focused on birds...There are plants I
have never seen before, Plants I have never seen in the county...I wish I
had a Bill Carr along with me.  Lots of wildflowers despite the dry
conditions.

  Birding consisted mostly of enjoying the regulars however there was a
pair of Brown-crested Flycatchers  working an area where there is likely a
nest hole in the burnt trees.  This may be a first record for the park , I
think it is.

  For the third time I located Hairy Woodpeckers in the same place and this
time there were 3, one was a recently fledged bird or at least it behaved
as such.  If anyone is interested in this area, it is partially open to the
public and I can provide that location upon request, A GPS is handy to
have..

 One burned out oak was the home to two recently fledged Black Vultures who
allowed me to approach within 30'...I did not try to get closer.  You can
see them and the cavity they were raised in in the photos.

 Herps are back...Found snake and turtle tracks and some of the many little
ponds have frogs and other aquatic life again. Lots of Odes, butterflies
and other insects.

  The old water tank at the start of Park Rd. 1C is hosting a slew of
Chimney Swifts now.

  Came across a small stream that was spring fed and flowing despite the
dry conditions...Perhaps because there are no trees to sap the hills dry..

  The fire exposed reminders of the past,  Those being the old ruts made
back in the 1800's and early 1900's when the loggers were dragging out the
old growth timber for the mills....These were hard to see before the fire.

  Many of the trails into the back country of the park are now re-opened
and I encountered two hikers today.  You can hike all the way to the west
side of Harmon Rd. BUT you can not hike east of there due to the various
dangers including tree falls, pits etc.  You owe it to yourself to check
out the recovery while the new growth is still fresh and before it gets hot
and summer dries things up.

A very nice morning indeed, and I am sure I am forgetting something.
Photos on my Blog, http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/

--
Brush Freeman
Independent and affiliated Field Biologist