[texbirds] Bastrop State Park Mama Woodcock & Can't keep nature down.

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, roger freeman <carrotguy55@xxxxxxxxx>, "Crosthwaite, Katherine" <Katherine.Crosthwaite@xxxxxxxxxx>, Benjamin.patterson@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2013 13:14:33 -0500

ball.  Glorious new growth everywhere much it now well over my head.  Loads
of birds, 49 species (tho not all on points)
  Stumbling on a Woodcock was my find of the day..  I was looking elsewhere
when she flushed, scaring the heck out of me, but she only flew about 20
feet and started carrying on like crazy, acting like she was dying,
dragging around in the dry leaves etc.  Almost completely circled me. I
looked for the highly cryptic chicks for a couple minutes, being extremely
careful where I stepped but could not spot any.  This was driving mom crazy
so I retreated.  That was a Bastrop Co. lifer for me!

  I came back from the coast on Friday after only seeing three Summer
Tanagers all week...Well there is a reason for that...They are all already
up here.  Had no less than 5 males this morning, all vocalizing.  Yep a lot
of stuff just overshoots the coast. .  Black-and-whites singing all over
the place where there remains habitat.  Heard two Kentucky Warblers, one
very close but I never could see the darn thing.  House Wrens everywhere
singing...Could have been here all winter as non-singing birds that I just
over-looked or are they migrants.  A couple of Great-Cresteds were nice and
on one pond there were perhaps 40-50 Blue-winged Teal

  For the berry pickers, bring your barrels and wash tubs...After
re-sprouting after the fire last year, every single vine is cram-packed
full of Dewberries...Never seen such a "mess",. .While some are just
starting to turn pink, the majority have about 3 weeks to go.  Poke salat
is already beyond being fit for table fare.  The trails west of Harmon Road
are open and wonderful to walk.  Indeed I met several happy hikers on it
this morning

  I put some photos on my blog below for the recent changes...One can also
much the park trails and woods have changed in just  a bit over a year and
a half.
.
--
Brush Freeman