[texbirds] Bastrop Co. 8-28 (very local interest)

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 10:25:10 -0500

  Hoping for some lingering migrants I did a little loop in my
patch...While it is completely unintentional, I rarely get outside the
perimeters of what the "patch" areas is for the patch challenge
thingy, in fact I barely even touch the area of"mine".  Today was all
in Bastrop Co. but just barely.
  Was bummed out to see that the landowner has taken advantage of the
drought and completely scraped out and enlarged "willow pond" on Upper
Elgin River Road while it was dry...Not a tree left...It was always
good for Green Herons, grebes, occasional ducks including Wood etc.
Just one less place to bird.  All the other ponds remain bone dry
except for two that had nothing on them this mornin.g  I birded
Monkey, Beaver and Arbuckle Rd before coming back down to Wilbarger
and my place

  Very early this morning there were things passing over, especially
Spotted Sandpipers, must be Spotted Sandpiper migration day as there
were perhaps 9-10, plus some Blue Grosbeaks, a couple of buntings etc.
 So unlike yesterday morn it was a bit slow today (so far)   The House
Wren is still here tho.

  White Ibis 1
  Green Heron 1
  Miss. Kites 5
  Least Fly. 1
  Great-crested Fly. 1
  Yellow-throated Vireo 1
   Purple Martins ~12
   House Wren 1
  Yellow Warbler 3-4
   Summer Tanager HY bird
   The usual assortment of orioles.

   A male Tarantula was crossing the gravel portion of Upper Elgin
Rd....The first I have seen around here in a long time.

  The true highlight was yesterday's sprinkles that brought out two
Rio Grande Chripping Frogs late last night...While I have heard them
previously in rain events I did not know what they were.  Thanks to
John K and others for setting it straight for me...New property herp!
I had no idea they were so far removed from the Valley now.

Brush Freeman
503-551-5150 Cell
http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/
Finca Alacranes., Utley,Texas