[texbirds] Barred Owls fledge and come to dinner

  • From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 4 Texbirds Maillist <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2015 15:00:36 -0500

Saturday evening I was in my recliner reading and eating dinner when some
movement caught my eye. A large stub of an ike tree is just out my window
and 2 just fledged barn owls were perched on it bowing and weaving to get a
better look at me. Still fuzzy on top of the head and face.
After a bit, the flew to the balcony rail to get a better look at what I
was eating. One fell off but managed to hang on to the deck outside the
rail. After a bit he fell and flew off to the woods where he was later
joined by his mate. I got a sort of picture with the ipad

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/159657453

One parent was hunting squirrel people just below the window and the other
adult flew in to join it. The young seem to be quite a bit larger than the
adults but the feathers are puffy with perhaps down still under them. They
are a lighter brown and have bigger back spots. They have taken to having a
big hoot around 10:30 in the morning.

Last night I was at the computer just about at full dark when there was a
great banging at the door and I assumed that poopbear was knocking for his
dinner. Instead, it was one of the young owls trying to get in for some of
the dinner from the previous night. It headed off when I got to the window.

Crested flycatchers were wheeping in the usual spot yesterday and one
goldfinch flew by was the extent of migrants. I had heard the flycatchers
pipping for a few days but no real calls until yesterday. Now they will
call little until they have territories, mates and holes when they will
really start to call. Odd behavior but consistent over the years. Usually
there are 3 pairs around.

One cardinal is roosting just outside the bedroom and has started to call
occasionally at 4:30 or so then every 30 minutes until it really calls
continually from the roost at 6:30. Eventually several other cardinals join
in as well as the wrens. Titmice are next along with the robins and
sometimes chickadees.

I do need to get some owl food though for the youngsters.

--
Joseph C. Kennedy
on Buffalo Bayou in West Houston