[texbirds] Balmorhea Gull

  • From: Tripp Davenport <tripp.davenport@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 10:17:11 -0700 (PDT)

I was hoping that Catherine, Matt, and Cameron would relocate the gull today
and get better photos than mine, I had to travel back last night and got in to
Uvalde around 2:30 am! Anyway, here is what I have so far. Dark bodied gull
overall deep gray tones, head slightly lighter than body, bill long with darker
tip and appeared reddish towards base, rump lighter gray almost slate colored
and matching back coloring, thin white trailing edge on tail (very thin) thin
white trailing edge on wing, primaries verydark, blackish. secondaries deep
gray, back the same deep gray as secondaries, underside uniform dark growing
slightly lighter towards the vent (vent a gray color), tail very dark black. I
had to really crop the photos and zoom in to pixels to pick up color on some
parts, still did not get anything on the legs except that they appeared dark in
color. Overall, this gull got my attention because it was very dark and the
size was slightly larger than the
 ring-billed gulls it was associating with. Spent this morning trying to work
up some photos to post, here is all I have got so far...they are posted on my
flickr page at the link below...hope it works, if not just type in flickr (no e
in flickr! or you will get a questionable web site!) then search for
tripp.davenport

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tdavenport/

any opinions and input will be greatly appreciated! BTW thanks to Carolyn Ohl
for hosting the varied thrush! really cool bird...great place (Christmas Mt.
Oasis) and super hostess!