[texbirds] Bald Eagle over I-45 & Lafite's Cove yesterday

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Stenmead@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 May 2014 11:38:44 -0400 (EDT)

Texbirders,

While driving north of I-45 near League City yesterday about 7:30 am, I
noticed a small raptor in pursuit of a larger raptor.  They swooped down  over
the freeway, and surprise, surprise, the larger raptor was a Bald  Eagle!!
My gaze did not linger on the smaller raptor, but guessing by  size, I
would say either a Cooper's Hawk, or a Red Shouldered.

Birded Lafite's Cove from 5 -6:30 pm where I saw  one Worm-eating,   2
Magnolia warblers, 1 Yellow-billed Cuckoo,  and two Eastern Wood-pewees. A
female photographer asked if I could Id a warbler  she had just photographed.
Her
photo captured all the field marks on a  Canada Warbler! But sadly, I never
refound it.

Another note about Lafite's Cove: after all other birders had left the
first drip, I walked upon a grey and white cat positioning itself  to pounce.
I shooed  it away until I couldn't see it.   Another reason to keep birding
in May!

Stennie Meadours
San Leon