[texbirds] BIG Sit @ LLELA/Denton Co

  • From: Susan Yost <sdyost@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds - Email <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 19:25:47 -0500

Calling all Birders!!
It’s a BIG SIT
May 16, 2015 6:30am-noon

So what is a Big Sit, you ask? Well, if you’ve ever wanted to bird while
kicking back in a comfortable lawn chair and have the cooler within arm’s
reach, the Big Sit is for you!

Participants, individuals or teams of up to five, will be directed to a 17
foot diameter circle somewhere on Lewisville Lake Environmental Learning
Area’s [LLELA] 2000 acres of natural habitat. Set up shop. Settle into your
circle. Relax, sit back and for 5 hours Saturday morning ID each species
that comes within sight or earshot of your spot... just think, no slogging
along muddy trails tripping on hidden roots and no warbler-neck! All levels
of birder, spotting scopes, bird guides etc. welcome. Potty breaks and short
jaunts outside the circle to confirm an ID allowed.

Following the Big Sit [@ the Cicada Pavilion] join us for a free weenie
roast and s’mores while we all share our sightings [provided by the Friends
of LLELA.] After lunch feel free to wander LLELA’S trails, explore the Elm
Fork’s riparian corridor, the adjacent bottomland forests or our blackland
prairie.

All participants, individuals or teams, are requested to solicit at least
one donor or as an alternative make a minimum $25.00 donation. Donor
contributions are on a per species identified basis, i.e. thirty species
ID’ed at a buck a bird = $30.00 donation. All funds raised will be used to
refurbish and expand LLELA’s nest box programs and to recondition the low
blind on Bittern Marsh.

For more information and/or a registration packet, email:
llelabigsit@xxxxxxxxx Deadline to register is May 10, 2015

Sue YOST
Friends of LLELA
Denton County