[texbirds] Austin Patchers interest only

  • From: Dan Smith <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx posts" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 14:34:26 -0500

I noted this on Facebook, but probably should note here as well for Austin
patchers. This morning at about 10:30 I had a Tricolored Heron foraging on the
north side of the Colorado from the high bluff at the east end of Roy Guerrero
River Park. This view is now partially fenced, I'm sure to prevent kids from
going from the playground area to the bluff, which can be dangerous. But you
can get to it from the beginning of the north fork of the trail behind the
fenced building. Don't get too close to the edge because that pavement is
cracking near the edge and might collapse.

Among the other 34 species I tallied this morning were a female Blue Grosbeak
and early Kestrel and Merlin. I have had one other August Merlin at Hornsby
Bend in 1999, so wasn't surprised, but iBird Pro flagged it in yellow. It's not
new for my patch list, but the Tricolored Heron is.

Dan Smith
dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
512-451-2632
http://www.wordsmithofaustin.com