[texbirds] August Update on the Kostecke's Region vs. Hewetson's Region competition

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2014 08:43:49 -0500

Greetings All:
As some of you know my good friend Rich Kostecke is pitting his
fifteen-county region (centered - sort of - in Austin) against my
fifteen-county region (centered - sort of - in Lubbock).

At the end of July Rich had retained his generally solid lead and was up
267 to 261.

Things picked up a bit for me in August and I added (in order of
appearance) Red-necked Phalarope, Virginia Rail, Ruby-throated Hummingbird,
Calliope Hummingbird, Common Tern, Little Blue Heron, and Least Tern -
bringing me up to 268.

Things did not pick up as much for my esteemed opponent.  He added (in
order of appearance) Semipalmated Plover, Ruddy Turnstone, Short-billed
Dowitcher, and American Avocet - bringing his region up to 271.

I suspect, given that he has started finding things like Brown Booby and
whatnot, that this is as close as things are going to get ... but I have
been giving him a run for his money, eh?  I also expect, given that even
the best of fall migrations won't make up for a slow spring migration, that
neither of us is going to hit our personal goals for our regions this year
(I was shooting for 300; I think Rich might have been shooting for 325).

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock