[texbirds] Attwater refuge to Stephen Austin State Park

  • From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 4 Texbirds Maillist <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2015 17:13:23 -0600

I got to he Attwater access road at sunrise having looked for owls without
any luck on the way there. Birds were scarce along the access roads until
the right turn where there were lots of sandhill cranes. The burned area on
the right did have lots of killdeers until they were moved by a pair of
harriers. 2 ground doves near the buildings were my first of the winter.
Once on the actual tour route there were lots of sparrows with savannah and
leconte's predominating. Actually had far more leconte's than grasshopper.
Watch for the yellowish/orange grass patches for the stinkbirds. The
largest number of sparrows was along the long west bound stretch but they
were on the sunny side.

There is lots of water and mud out there. Many areas are flooded and the
roads slippery. My best spots for western meadowlarks was a lake. Only one
good batch of geese braved the hunters but was way up past sky busting
range. Most were ross's geese. Lots of sandhill cranes everywhere.

The cemetery in Eagle Lake had 3 very noisy kiskadees and a flyover
ladder-backed woodpecker.

Some patches along cat spring road and prairie chicken road had Harris's
sparrows and lots of vesper sparrows. Hawks generally in short supply as
were yellow-rumps, kinglets etc.

Drought is gone in these parts with water everywhere. Not many birds but
lots of bird hunters out there. Some blinds are really too close to roads
so watch where you stop to scan as the "birds" may be made of plastic foam.
Lots of good habitat for mountain plover and longspurs but none seen or
heard and it is a little wet. Maybe when it dries a little. And a day
without large numbers of hunters.

--
Joseph C. Kennedy
on Buffalo Bayou in West Houston