[texbirds] Another, very short, TCC story

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 12:40:28 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings All:
a county list?

It was December of 2002 and I had been hankering to chase some critter, a
Golden-crowned Warbler, that was being seen at UT Pan Am.  I had put it off for
some time as I was pinned down by a very busy class schedule up in Lubbock.  I
had been planning a Christmas trip down to South Texas and was hoping the bird
would persist until then.  I've never been much of chaser; more of a what
rarities are being seen where I am headed sort of guy.  This particular bird,
insanely happy enough with the on-campus lifestyle, ended up being perfect for
my - finally - off campus lifestyle.

This, of course, meant an all night drive from Lubbock to Edinburg and at some
point in the wee hours of the morning (probably around 4:00 AM on 21 December
2002) I found myself too full of caffeinated fluids somewhere along the long
stretch of Highway 281 south of the metropolis of Falfurrias.

And that, my friends, is how you find yourself with one species of bird (Great
Horned Owl) on a county list (Brooks) during your TCC adventure.  And there my
Brooks County list sits, unaltered by subsequent night drives along Highway
281, just waiting ... waiting ... waiting.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock

P.S. And, yes, I did see the Golden-crowned Warbler and it was a beauty!