[texbirds] Anhuac to Quintana today, summer doldrums, but lingering birds

  • From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 4 Texbirds Maillist <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 19:42:16 -0500

The forecast for a nice sunny day was a little wrong with 2 rain showers
and one additional thunder session. Not much wind until the pm so there was
very little soaring or birds along the ferry ride etc.
Normal birds at Anahuac featuring the purple gallinules, least bitterns,
rails etc.

The neatest birds were several tree swallows using or at least poking into
the cliff swallow nests on the refuge. Tree swallows are hole nesters and
the cliff swallow nest fills the bill. I did not get close so could not
tell if they were staying in the nests.

A couple of years ago I had fledged tree swallows sitting next to the
colony despite having no trees or holes nearby. I also have pictures of
tree swallows exploring cliff swallow nests at the old boathouse at searim
state park but did not go back later to see if they stayed. Maybe an
adaptation to lack of trees in coastal areas when the birds are spreading
their nesting range south.

I worked most of the day counting shorebirds. Or trying to as there is a
considerable lack of summering birds except at the Bryan Beach lagoons.

Rollover pass was again covered with both pelican species. Over 100 white
pelicans on the island where I wondered if they might try nesting a couple
of years ago. Took some distant pictures to get an accurate count.

Started with 1 sanderling east of high island out to the start of the
wildlife refuge. 2 black-bellied plovers at rollover pass along with zero
other non-willets. 11 black-bellied plovers did fly over yacht basin road
which also had only willets. Bob road was high water with several Wilson's
plovers and 1 semipalmated plover.

No birds on the crystal beach beach but lots of drunks and near drunks. The
area between Magnolia and Retillon roads had 25 all white sanderlings and 1
western willet. Bolivar flats had 5 greater yellowlegs, 12 sanderlings and
13 western willets. The only black terns of the day were there with over
100 birds including many all black birds.
The pelican island tropical kingbirds are still trying for nesting success
on their 3rd try for the year. Very quiet around noon.

Headed down to Brazoria where Olney pond had dried entirely. One wet area
in Crossroads was the only wet. It had avocets, willets, blue-winged teals
and both species of yellowlegs.

On Quintana, the neotropic sanctuary loggerhead shrikelets were out and
about along with young grackles and mourning doves. The beaches had as many
people as I have seen a real lack of birds. There was little gulfweed on
the beaches of Bolivar and almost no fresh but there are huge piles of
fresh weed all along Quintana and bryan beaches.

The lagoons are really drying but still had lots of birds (for the summer).
The 14 redheads are still lingering. Maybe 35 peeps including western and
white-rumped. Took pictures of others to the west in the sun so may have
some other id's. Also short-billed dowitchers, both yellowlegs including 12
greaters, avocets etc. There were crabbers along the road so birds were off
a way.

The best birds were at least 4 snowy plovers out there, one of which is
likely a young of the year bird but I need to remind myself what they look
like. A very strange plover finally called and was revealed by a concerned
parent to be an almost fledged Wilson's plover.

Last stop was on the hurricane levee where the breeding plumage horned
grebe was in close to the shoreline vegetation along with 7 ruddy ducks.
They were hard to see except when they moved out a little with the grebe
preening the entire time.

Summer is here and the summer doldrums have set in. It is another 2 weeks
until the shorebirds start returning and migration really get going.

--
Joseph C. Kennedy
on Buffalo Bayou in West Houston