[texbirds] Anahuac eaglemania and Bolivar Mountain Plover

  • From: David McDonald <dkmmdpa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2015 16:06:35 -0600

Hi texbirders,

I went back to Anahuac to check on the eagles and see what else was there.

My 'pet' Osprey put on another show on the road signs, but this time
he had a fish to eat.....   http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/158716857

Despite the fact that the huge Snow Goose flock out from the second
leg of the Shoveler Pond loop was gone, there were still 5 eagles on
the ground on the mounds as before. 1 was adult plumaged and 4 subadult.

On the way down 1985 to the Skillern Tract, I saw 3 large birds fly
up from the field next to the road. 1 had a white tail. I turned the
car around and drove back and got out to take some photos.
The adult plumaged Bald eagle was carrying some food and was being
chased by a subadult and a caracara.

Here is the adult being followed below by the juvenile
eagle...   http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/158716858

A moment later, the juvie grabs on to the prey the adult is
carrying....   http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/158716859

Next frame he drops back....   http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/158716860

5 frames later, the juvie is in hot pursuit
again....    http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/158716861

In the next frame, the Caracara appears in the frame as well and is
in the chase.....   http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/158716862

Fortunately, they kept circling upwards and not away. Here the adult
comes around....   http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/158716863

6 frames later, the juvie is relentless in pursuit and the adult
releases the right foot on the
prey....   http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/158716864

5 frames later, the Caracara has gotten above the adult and the adult
has dropped the prey....    http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/158716865

And as the adult comes back around, he is
empty-handed.....   http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/158716866

Wow, what an event to watch and catch on film!

I stopped at Bolivar to see if the Mountain Plover was still there as
I had not seen any reports this week. The tide was way out and 2 or 3
sand bars were exposed and numerous small birds were on the sand
bars, so I didn't expect to see the bird. However, I had driven only
about 100 yards from Retillon towards the bollards when a lone bird
walked in front of my card and proceeded to walk along beside the car
about 20 feet away. it was him! And this timew he didn't have his
beak all covered with sand.

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/158716867

For those of you on the upper Texas coast, you will never get a
better chance to see a Mountain Plover than this guy. I hope he
sticks around til March and molts into breeding plumage so we can see that too.

Happy New Year and good birding in 2015,

David McDonald
Friendswood TX