[texbirds] Anahuac NWR 12/2/13

  • From: DHanson139@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 07:20:19 -0500 (EST)

Jan and I ran down to the Anahuac NWR mostly looking for the Golden Eagle
but came away with 51 species. We did find either 2 or 3 Bald Eagles with
one  being a beautiful adult bird. We had either 2 or the same bird juvenile
Bald  Eagle as well. The geese at the main Refuge were North and West of
Shoveler Pond  and were so far over you could only see them when the jumped up.
Once I thought  I could see 3 different Eagles over them but it was a long
way off. There were a  few Field Sparrows around the grove of trees and a
couple of White-crowned as  well. Down at the bay the water was so rough that
we could not find any Grebes  or Loons. There were two Vermillion Flycatchers
at the office. The biggest thing  I noticed here was how many of both
Fulvous and Black-bellied Whistling-Ducks  there still were in Shoveler Pond.
Back when I was guiding in the area there  were no Black-bellies and the
Fulvous were rarely seen after the end of the  first week in November. ebird
threw
up a flag on both species due I suspect to  the numbers I put in.

Headed to the Skillern Tract for a while and found it again pretty dead
with no water over there. The water at the end of the walkway held a few Am
Coots and a hand full of Common Gallinules and that was all. There were also
two  male Vermillion Flycatchers over there. The Geese over there were out
in the  East Unit and again were so far you could only see them when they
jumped  up.

http://smu.gs/IIQkGe
a few shots including the Vermillion Flycatcher.

David and Jan  Hanson
Baytown/Mont Belvieu Area
Chambers County
Galveston Bay Area  Master Naturalist