[texbirds] American Oystercatcher Project 6/21/13

  • From: DHanson139@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 10:02:12 -0400 (EDT)

Yesterday Jan and I went out with Sue Heath to help put up signs around
American Oystercatcher nesting sites to try and eliminate or at least limit
the  number of people who are disturbing Oystercatcher nest sites by getting
to close  to them. We put up four new signs to add to all the ones already
up. Along  the way we had time to shoot a few pictures. The pictures of the
2-3 day old  chicks are from a good ways off so are highly cropped. The two
eggs are from a  new nest where a pair had failed their first attempt and are
trying again. Sue  needed to know how many eggs were there so I took a few
quick shots and we got  out of there. The Brown Pelican and Laughing Gull
chicks are from where new  signs went up. It was a very educational outing and
if any of ever get to go out  with her you will learn a lot about American
Oystercatchers.

People disturbing their nests spook the parents and often leave the little
chicks vulnerable to attack or predation from other larger birds like
Gulls,  Herons, Frigatebirds etc. The little chicks have a hard enough time
fledging as  it is without us adding to it.

http://smu.gs/14p4uku

David and Jan  Hanson
Baytown/Mont Belvieu Area
Chambers County