[texbirds] Amarillo Birding

  • From: Ray Hodson <rayroztwo@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2015 12:49:11 -0500

While traveling thru Amarillo we stopped just South of Randall High School on
Bell avenue. At about 100 yards Southeast of the school there was a Burrowing
Owl on a fence post along With numerous Prairie Dogs. On the west side in a
small playa there were Canada Geese, Black-necked stilt, Blue-winged teal,
Gadwalls(?) and Northern Harrier, Killdeer, Western Kingbird, and Cattle egret.
We went further South and turned onto West Sundown Lane. There we saw 15
Wilson Phalarope, White-faced Ibis, about 150 Canada Geese, Red-winged
Blackbirds, a single American Coot, and several grackle. A fun sighting and
with the recent rains in the panhandle there are playas with water all over.
Ray and Roz Hodson
Kyle, TX

Sent from my iPad