[texbirds] Re: About Cook's Slough (long)

  • From: Mitch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 09:19:29 -0500

Hi all,  with apologies for the length.....

Thank you Tony Gallucci for posting this alert to Texbirds.

It would really be great, if not change the course of history,
if a lot of Texbirders can e-mail Uvalde City Hall and the
Uvalde Leader News, and voice their opposition to this hair-brained
idea.  There are some very determined people on the inside that
want you to bird while dodging frisbees.

These folk after reading 3 pages of my comments about it are
arguing that frisbee throwing is no more disturbance than birding
is to the wildlife.  This is the level of understanding and
intelligence we are up against.  These are insiders fighting for
this.  It will take a mountain of letters to stop it is my take.

The 34 acres they want to turn into an avian desert is that where
Painted Bunting, Cactus Wren, Cassin's Sparrow, Bell's Vireo,
Vermilion, Scissor-tailed and Ash-throated Flycatcher, and Verdin
nest, among others.

My experience in CA was that a park where one of these disc
courses was installed had an area that was good for birds and
it became an avian desert.  The players are loud and noisy
by birder standards, besides zooming objects constantly shooting
through the air have a way of seriously disturbing birds, since
most of what does that is predators.  One study I am aware of
showed how Pigeons go into flight or fright mode at the sight
of an object zooming through the air, until it was ID'd as
threat or not.  Birds will not put up with frisbee flying.

Below is the letter to the editor I wrote that was published
in the Uvalde Leader News, in hopes of it giving some ideas
of some points to make.

Thanking you in advance for your caring and consideration,

Mitch Heindel
Utopia
www.utopianature.com

  Published letter to editor Uvalde Leader News Oct. 6

It has come to my attention that there is a proposal that seems frighteningly
close to approval for a frisbee-golf course at Cooks Slough Nature Park.
If this folly is approved what will the new name of the park be?  It will not
be a nature park, as the 34 acres the frisbee folk want will displace the
nature preserved by many people's long hard work.

A frisbee course belongs in a nature park as much as picnic tables belong on
a golf course. It is unconscienable to seriously consider such an idea. One
cannot study, enjoy, or appreciate nature with frisbees flying around.

The birds will leave. A hundred nature nerds can be at Cooks Slough Nature Park
and not disturb each other. This is not the case with wild frisbee throwing
going on, it disturbs what everyone else is doing.  Everyone there will hear
them grunt at each throw, the slam of the frisbees hitting the ground, over and over.

This is not what a nature park is for. How long until someone is hit, and
there is a lawsuit? It is like putting a golf course in there. It makes no sense.

There are thousands of empty acres around Uvalde far better suited for
throwing frisbees than the beautiful natural habitat that has been
painstakingly preserved at Cooks Slough Nature Park.

Every year hundreds of birdwatchers, dragonfly watchers and other nature
enthusiasts come to Uvalde because of Cooks Slough Nature Park. They spend
lots of money in town. I assure you none are coming to see nature at a
frisbee-golf course.

I've tried to birdwatch where there were frisbee courses; there were no
birds there,where there were many before.  Nature and outdoor appreciators
are trying to get away from this type of sport noise, disturbance and activity.

The lack of such disturbances is why hundreds of birds nest at the park and
why it is one of the top sites in the state and nation for dragonflies.
Over 250 species of birds, 100 species of butterflies, and 70 species of
dragonflies use this, the only nature park available to the public around Uvalde.

It is far too precious a resource to squander.

Please stop this folly.  Continue to save, protect, and restore Cooks Slough
Nature Park, do not turn it into a sports park.

Mitch Heindel
Utopia,

I think it best if you cc the newspaper while sending to city hall?

Comments can be directed to the newspaper, the Uvalde Leader-News at
mgarcia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx --  and to the Uvalde City Council at
cityhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Quoting tony gallucci <hurricanetg@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

It has come to my attention that the City of Uvalde is proposing an 18-hole Frisbee Golf Course for Cook's Slough Nature Park in Uvalde. The course as currently designed will impinge on most of the east side and require modifications to the habitat, as well as presenting a potentially noisy, disruptive, sports activity to a park that, from its inception, was designed to be, and designated as, a Nature Park. The city has been receptive to input, although their final proposal seems to ignore all concerns that were presented to it in terms of its value for birds as a source of water in a region where still water is scarce, and its value for harboring rare butterflies and dragonflies, not to mention the ecotourist impact on the city, and the great good will Uvalde has earned in the last few years because of this park. If you value green spaces like this, and especially if you have visited, led tours to, or been a part of a trip there, please voice your opinion, whatever it is, on this issue. tony gallucci ingram/hunt/kerrville

Edit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at //www.freelists.org/list/texbirds

Reposting of traffic from TEXBIRDS is prohibited without seeking permission from the List Owner