[texbirds] Aberrant Laughing Gull

  • From: Harlan Stewart <hstewartmail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 08:00:27 -0500

This is a follow-up to a Facebook Posting by Jana Whittle regarding an aberrant
Laughing Gull that four members of the Golden Triangle Audubon Society observed
in the parking lot of at the RV park near the entrance at the south end of
Mustang Island State park. (I know- the text based announcement in Facebook and
the photos posted in TexBirds can be the source of endless ironic humor - I'm a
luddite without a Facebook account).

Yesterday afternoon while visiting Mustang Island, Christine Sliva alerted the
rest of our little band of adventurers to an unusual gull with a bright orange
bill and orange legs. With a little research, specifically inquiring of two of
our gull experts (John Whittle and Steve Mayes), we found out that this is an
aberrant Laughing Gull. Sherrie Rodin's further googling research led to
finding out that this may be a relatively rare condition where integumentary
tissues do not produce melanin, and as a result likely acquire their color from
carotene pigments that remain. Apparently such rare birds are reported at very
low but fairly regular rates.

Links to the photos from our encounter:

http://hstewart.smugmug.com/Nature/Birding-Trips/Corpus-Christi-2013/31934684_wCfgH7#!i=2771891523&k=KPBkwDV

http://hstewart.smugmug.com/Nature/Birding-Trips/Corpus-Christi-2013/31934684_wCfgH7#!i=2771889947&k=Z7wqtkV

http://hstewart.smugmug.com/Nature/Birding-Trips/Corpus-Christi-2013/31934684_wCfgH7#!i=2771890901&k=g4C5czD

http://hstewart.smugmug.com/Nature/Birding-Trips/Corpus-Christi-2013/31934684_wCfgH7#!i=2771889840&k=PvdMQKf

Harlan Stewart

Nederland, TexasEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at