[texbirds] A request for moderation

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 12:52:29 -0800 (PST)

Greetings All:
I am furious at Jim Hailey for his implication that rare birds from our region
are not worth posting.  I am also furious that he chose to make this inference
on the sly - where it would not be viewed by texbirders and his behavior not be
evident.  Any Palm Warbler or Vermilion Flycatcher seen in my region (The
Panhandle) is well worth posting to texbirds.

As I have been known to use the phrase 'to call a spade a spade' when referring
to my preference to speak plainly I hereby request that I be moderated.  It is
not a racist phrase: it has a clear meaning in English dating back to it's
first cited usage in 1542.  This usage is specific to the phrase and far
predates the use of the use of the word 'spade' as a racial epiphet.

I would far rather be called an idiot in a public forum than be called a
racist.  Cameron Carver should not have called anybody an idiot in a public
forum.  David Sarkozi, as a list moderator, most certainly should not have even
implied that somebody was a racist in a public forum.  Moderating somebody is
fine - calling somebody a racist, absent sound evidence, is not.

I believe that Cameron Carver, however intemperate he may be, is owed an
apology by David Sarkozi.

As one will probably not be forthcoming and as moderators are above moderation,
I hereby expect to be moderated.  It is just as well, I suppose, as I rarely,
if ever, see anything that is worth posting on texbirds.

Sincerely;

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock