[texbirds] A comment on the plants being used by the Clapp Park bunting 'flock'

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 15:01:20 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings All:

The vegetation I referred to in my earlier post about the 'swarms' of buntings
at Clapp Park in Lubbock is a mixture of sunflower stands in a dense and
continuous growth (now up to four feet in height) of a plant I know as
'smartweed'.  The smartweed is teeming with insects and looks to be very good,
assuming the city does not cut it, for migrant songbirds in the weeks to come.
I have seen all manner of empids and warblers in this stuff elsewhere ... and
am hoping this patch will kick out a lot of stuff this year.

If Lubbock is where you live or where you will be traveling over the next month
or so, add Clapp Park to your list of places to visit.  It is located northeast
of the intersection of University Avenue and 44th Street ... and is probably
the single best migrant trap in Lubbock County.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock