[texbirds] 4/20/14 Bentsen Bird Walk

  • From: Hannah Buschert <Hannah.Buschert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TexBirds (texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2014 17:10:13 +0000

Good Morning,
It was great to have so many excited birders on this overcast morning!  We
started off walking around the Headquarters gardens looking for a Clay-colored
Thrush (no-show), but we did have a Long-billed Thrasher and Black Phoebe come
around.  At the Nature Center, we had tons of Broad-winged Hawks flying over
and one lone Chimney Swift.  At the Resaca, we were lucky enough to have a
Green Kingfisher fly below us and more Vultures and Broad-winged Hawks flying
over.  We finished off the morning on the Kiskadee trail listening to the
Northern Beardless-Tyrannulet calling and an Altamira Oriole weaving its nest.

Last night on our weekly Creatures of the Night tour, we were excited to have a
quick glimpse of the Elf Owl and heard plenty of Common Pauraques and Eastern
Screech Owls around!

Only a few more days of Hawk Watch!  Join us at the Hawk Tower for Hawk Watch
from 8:30am-12:00pm daily until April 30th, weather permitting.

Species Count
Black-bellied Whistling-Duck       2
Mottled Duck    2
Plain Chachalaca               9