[texbirds] 12.19.15 Sheldon Lake Bird Walk

  • From: Hannah Buschert <Hannah.Buschert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'TexBirds (texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)'" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2015 19:41:43 +0000

Hello Texbirders!
We had a chilly and sunny bird walk this morning with 44 species sighted.
Highlights include Northern Pintail and Snow Geese flyovers. There were also
plenty of water birds on the Sheldon Lake that were spotted from the
Observation Tower, including American Coots, Ring-necked Ducks, and Anhinga.
We did miss the Bald Eagle, Crested Caracaras, and Northern Harrier that have
been patrolling the prairie lately...

Our next bird walk will be a 'Kick off Your Year List' Bird Walk on January
1st, 2016 at 8:00am as part of our 'First Day of Fitness'-don't miss it! We
will also have a Trail Jog (9:30am), BikeFit ride (10:00am-does require
registration), and Secret Agent Walk (1:00pm) on January 1st, 2016.

Species Count
Snow Goose 15
Northern Pintail 40
Ring-necked Duck 4
Pied-billed Grebe 2
Anhinga 11
Great Blue Heron 1
Great Egret 3
Little Blue Heron 1
Turkey Vulture 2
Osprey 1
Cooper's Hawk 1
Red-shouldered Hawk 1
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Common Gallinule 2
American Coot 75
Laughing Gull 40
Mourning Dove 1
Belted Kingfisher 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 2
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 3
Downy Woodpecker 2
American Kestrel 1
Eastern Phoebe 2
Great Kiskadee 1
Blue Jay 3
American Crow 2
swallow sp. 4
Carolina Chickadee 3
Carolina Wren 1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 4
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 3
Eastern Bluebird 2
American Robin 1
Gray Catbird 1
Northern Mockingbird 1
Cedar Waxwing 45
Orange-crowned Warbler 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler 3
White-throated Sparrow 1
Savannah Sparrow 5
Northern Cardinal 2
Eastern Meadowlark 1
Great-tailed Grackle 1
American Goldfinch 4

Happy CBC season!

Hannah Buschert
Park Ranger II (Lead Interpreter)
Texas Parks and Wildlife Department
Sheldon Lake State Park
14140 Garrett Road
Houston, Texas 77044
(281) 456-2800 x232
Hannah.Buschert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:Hannah.Buschert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
www.tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/sheldon-lake<http://www.tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/sheldon-lake>
[http://lakemacholidayparks.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/facebook-icon.png]<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sheldon-Lake-State-Park-Environmental-Learning-Center/138415906207095?ref=hl>
Click the icon to check out our Facebook page!

"People must feel that the natural world is important and valuable and
beautiful and wonderful and an amazement and a pleasure." Sir David Attenborough