[texbirds] 1-16-15 McAllen Nature Center & Quinta

  • From: Susan Schaezler <warblerwoods@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients:;
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 10:38:27 -0600

1-16-15 McAllen Nature Center & Quinta
On Friday, we enjoyed the beautiful habitat of McAllen Nature Center, which is
open 8-12, Wednesday- Sunday.  You should visit here, great habitat and
Clay-colored Thrush.   They now have a feeding station!

After a great lunch, we went to Quinta and almost stepped on the 7 Clay-colored
Thrush that kept running near our path.  We also had Tropical Parula and two
Gray Hawks.

Now for list:

McAllen Nature Center (LTC 065), Hidalgo, US-TX
Jan 16, 2015 9:25 AM - 11:15 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.5 mile(s)
Comments:     <br />Submitted from BirdLog NA for iOS, version 1.8
29 species

Plain Chachalaca  3
Red-shouldered Hawk  1
White-tipped Dove  3
Mourning Dove  2
Golden-fronted Woodpecker  5
Ladder-backed Woodpecker  1
American Kestrel  1
Great Kiskadee  2
Blue-headed Vireo  1
Green Jay  6
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  3
Clay-colored Thrush  1
Curve-billed Thrasher  1
Long-billed Thrasher  1
Northern Mockingbird  6
European Starling  21
Orange-crowned Warbler  3
Nashville Warbler  2
Yellow-rumped Warbler  1
Lincoln's Sparrow  6
Northern Cardinal  5
Pyrrhuloxia  1
Indigo Bunting  6
Red-winged Blackbird  2
Great-tailed Grackle  2
Altamira Oriole  2
Baltimore Oriole  1     Oriole with yellow from throat to under tail except
whitish area in belly area. Two prominent white wing bars, no black on head or
throat. Similar in appearance to immature female OROR but seemed larger, though
not quite as large as ALOR also seen at the Orange and peanut butter feeders.
Lesser Goldfinch  2
House Sparrow  20

Quinta Mazatlan WBC (McAllen) (LTC 063), Hidalgo, US-TX
Jan 16, 2015 1:09 PM - 4:09 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.5 mile(s)
Comments:     <br />Submitted from BirdLog NA for iOS, version 1.8
21 species

Plain Chachalaca  3
Little Blue Heron  1
Gray Hawk  2
American Coot  1
Inca Dove  10
White-winged Dove  1
Golden-fronted Woodpecker  4
Eastern Phoebe  1
Great Kiskadee  2
Couch's Kingbird  1
Green Jay  2
Black-crested Titmouse  2
Carolina Wren  1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  3
Clay-colored Thrush  7
Curve-billed Thrasher  1
Long-billed Thrasher  1
Orange-crowned Warbler  2
Tropical Parula  1     Seen to left of main building in the middle canopy of a
Hackberry tree along with BCTI and BGGN. Another birder had just seen and
photographed the bird and was trying to relocate it. We had a glimpse of the
bird showing its clean white underside with bright yellow breast and neck and
dark head. It then apparently crossed the drive to an oak tree, along with
other birds in the small flock.
Great-tailed Grackle  2
House Sparrow  45

Susan Schaezler
WarblerWoods.org
501(c)(3) Cibolo/Schertz/Guadalupe County
Life member TOS, SAAS, TAS