[texbirds] 1/04/14 birds

  • From: jgstudio@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2014 18:12:42 -0500 (EST)

Visiting birder Cameron Carver and I covered some ground this morning homing in
on some continuing rarities. We started our day at John Kiseda's house to
photograph his continuing Broad-billed Hummingbirds. It took a while, but we
had close encounters with the immature male. Steller's Jays and Western
Scrub-jays entertained us while we waited. Then we went to the spot where I
found a Lewis's Woodpecker on our CBC. This bird had been a nemisis bird for
Cameron: a lifer!
Next stop was Memorial Park. After covering virtually the entire park, which
was pretty quiet, we headed back to Cameron's truck and literally just as we
had put away our cameras, I spotted the continuing Brown Creeper on a tree
trunk not 40 feet away. We jumped out and found ourselves in a mixed flock
containing the PINE WARBLER and Blue-headed Vireo. Barry Zimmer had originally
found these birds last Sunday on our CBC. Crazy stuff to have these guys
flocking together!

We tried hard to find a Pygmy Nuthatch, looking in all 3 places I had seen them
in the last couple of weeks, but coming up empty. Still, not a bad day.

John Groves
El Paso