[telescoperos] Re: [telescoperos] Re: disco de nebra. - (algo más)

  • From: Roderick Bowen <actualidadespacial@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: telescoperos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 12:39:53 -0800 (PST)

Nebra Sky Disc

Mittelberg: a 252m hill in the Ziegelroda Forest 180km south-west of Berlin,
GermanyArchaeologists are investigating a site atop the Mittelberg where a 32cm
bronze-and-gold disc was found.

'The oldest concrete representation of the stars in the world'The disc maps 32
stars, including the Pleiades, as they appear in reference to a local mountain
on the horizon, the Brocken. Since the Mittelberg is near the German town of
Nebra, the star map has been dubbed the "Nebra Disc."

The researchers suggest that the artifact, which was discovered within a pit
inside a Bronze Age ringwall, is around 3600 years old and claim it to be the
"oldest concrete representation of the stars in the world." Archaeologists
assume that Mittelberg served as a type of observatory for the peoples of that
time.

The disc 32cm in diameter shows a golden ship, Sun, Moon and stars as well as
the constellation Pleiades just before the eclipse. Astronomers have confirmed
that the sky map matches the latitude of the place where it was found.

As seen from the Mittelberg, the sun sets every June 22 behind the Brocken, the
highest mountain in northern Germany. The Brocken is in a direct line of sight
on a clear day, 85km to the north-west.

The archaeological dig has gone down about half a metre into the soil, leaving
loose stone walls standing. The site was once surrounded by wooden palisades
and a complex of defensive ditches.

Wolfhard Schlosser, an expert in ancient astronomy at the University of the
Ruhr, states "The ringwall was built in such a way that the sun seemed to
disappear every equinox behind the Brocken."

Experts believe the map and site formed an observatory, which was used to set
the calendar for planting and harvesting crops.

The nearby forest contains perhaps 1000 barrows or princely graves from the
period, but little else is known about the lost people, who are not mentioned
in ancient Greek or other Mediterranean sources.
The culture of people from the Bronze Era was lost in the course of time and
only material evidence of their existence is saved - the places where
settlements, graves and treasure used to be. Scientists claim that it is
impossible to assume which language they used.

Last updated: December 4, 2002 by John (Hans) Pohland