Re: speaking of ram...

  • From: Steve Baker <ice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 14:32:19 -0500

John Madden <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> ... Take a look at RAM prices.. I've never seen 'em so low.  I bought a
> pair of 128meg PC133 dimms for $136 last night, including insured
> shipping.  $51 each.  $102 for a 256meg chip!  http://www.pricewatch.com.

  I'd been thinking that RAM prices had been held artificially high for a
while now, probably over a year.  Had to give eventually -- Moores law and
all that.  Alas, I already have 256MB, which seems to be just about all I
need to never swap (unless I'm dealing in huge images or something).

  I hope that DDR memory is everything they say it will be.  Iterating over
even 256MB of memory actually takes quite a bit of time, such that these huge
apps don't run all that fast even on super fast processors like 1GHz
Athlons. Why spend so much money on a fast processor when you're forever
memory bound?  Current processors also don't seem to come with enough cache
anymore either.  We've had 512k cache sizes since the 486 -- when 16MB was
probably all you could afford. I'd really like to see MB's support a good
16+MB L3 cache.

                                                        - Steve

P.S. Did everyone remember to vote Libertarian today? =)