More bandwidth frustration stupidity.

  • From: Steve Baker <ice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 10:46:03 -0500

http://www.indianastatesman.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2002/04/03/3caa7c9c6af3e

  From what I've seen, what we have in place is not so much a shaper as a
bandwidth prioritizer.  We're still pegged at max bandwidth most of the time,
it's just that such things like ssh, web and the like get a higher priority.

  At any rate we would still have the very same problems if we didn't have the
"shaper" in place, but then no one would be able to use the network very well
at all.

  I suppose it's possible that the shaping is dropping packets, rather than
queueing them, but it probably has to, otherwise those packets would be queued
up till next month.  Perhaps the students need a UDP version of KaZaA, that
can deal with dropped packets or whatever for their music stealing, er...,
sharing.

                                                                - Steve