Re: Mac OS X security

  • From: Steve Baker <ice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 10:38:19 -0500

"M.K. Chatterji" <chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Of course this isn't very different from any Unix box, where physical
> access allows full access if you have the right floppy/CD tools.

  Well, you're right of course, and I personally don't see anything wrong
with Mac OS-X's security model, but you can secure a PC.

  Go into the BIOS, disable the floppy drive, or just change the boot order
to pick the hard drive over the floppy, lock the BIOS with a BIOS password.
Go into Linux and put a password on the lilo prompt.  No one will be able to
boot off of floppy, or boot it into single user mode, or otherwise specify
command line options to the kernel.  One would have to physically remove the
hard drive to get access to the data on it.  This is assuming of course that
someone can't easily reset the BIOS.  Most server cases come with at least
simple locks that can keep that from happening (of course all bets are off
once crow-bars, bolt cutters and shotguns come into play).

  Important servers should still have at least some physical security.  They
shouldn't be in public labs for instance.  Nevermind putting physical locks
on the server and/or securing it to a table/wall.

                                                                - Steve