Re: ICANN approves new TLD...

  • From: Hunter <hunters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 100 15:18:08 -0500 (EST)

>   And .sex and .xxx is not just a good idea for porn sites.  Given this
> countries puriten march to ban all web sites, wouldn't it make banning porn
> sites that much easier if they all ended in .sex or .xxx?  No need to filter
> on content, just TLD, and it's not like the porn industry would even
> mind -- they want their .sex or .xxx TLD, I say give it to 'em.

Yes, it would be easier. In fact, you would probably be able to get laws passed
to require all porno sites be in the .xxx or .sex (or both) TLD(s). But do we
want to do that? Wouldn't that just be begging for governmental censorship?

And yeah, so what if people can't get thier porno? Well, pornography is a
highly subjective term. Some people concider the famous statue of David
pornographic because he's naked. It's not too much of a strech from porno to
art to films and then perhaps print. (Yes I realize this is a worst-case
scenario.)

--
Steven Hunter  | hunters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"HEY! Check out these crescent fresh skulls in my salad!" - Sifl & Olly