Re: Bugtraq statistical summary- this is for Chat

  • From: Steve Baker <ice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 13:36:59 -0500

"Jerry Hargis" <cchargis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> "For example, in 1999 and 2000, Windows NT lead the way with the most
> bugs of any one operating system. But, before the Linux fans start
> popping open their champagne bottles, they'll be horrified to know that
> the different distributions aggravate problems almost matched NT and
> were much higher than other operating systems covered such as the BSDs,
> Solaris and Windows 95/98. The safest operating system was MacOS with
> only a handful of trouble reports over the last four years. "
>
> from
>
> http://www.zdnet.com/enterprise/stories/main/0,10228,2570180,00.html

  I'd just like to point out that no one I know, myself included uses "all
the linux distributions" at the same time.  For example, I use just
slackware, which had something like a total of 4 security problems last
year.  To aggregate all the linux distros would be like say, lumping in the
security problems with a number of third party vendors products along with
NT itself.  So I think that it's exceedingly unfair to lump all the linux
distros together.  If you look at just debian, you see that it fairs very
well, even though debian has easily the most software of any distribution.
Almost nothing comes with NT and look at how many security problems it had.

  Then there's the fact that it does nothing to categorize how severe the
problems were, how quickly they were fixed, etc, ad nauseam.

                                                                - Steve