[TechAssist] Re: use a battery backup UPS for TV,DVD,surroundamp system protection ?

  • From: Phil Bader <tjanphyl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 14:36:52 -0400

Isn't that what older audio power amps did? drive at class B, then an=20
output transformer that smothed out the signal?
I think that would work, except that the UPS is in standby til power=20
loss, but the transformer would be in service all the time. A tech=20
friend bought a 1:1 120VAC  heavy duty transformer that he runs his=20
whole bench from isolated. 100% duty cycle, 9 hrs a day. Good point, Pete=
r.
Phil

Peter oliver wrote:

>What about adding a 1:1 isolation transformer to turn the square wave in=
to a=20
>sine wave?
>
>Peter Oliver
>Tucson Radio TV
>

>From: "J Silverman" <greentron@xxxxxxx>
>To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [TechAssist] Re: use a battery backup UPS for TV,DVD,surround a=
mp=20
>system protection ?
>Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 13:12:42 -0400
>
>The computer power supplies work fine with the 115 VAC (RMS) square wave=

>output from the low cost UPSs. Most consumer electronic equipment is rat=
ed
>for 115 volt RMS 60 Hertz sine wave, plus or minus 10%. If you use the
>computer UPS with consumer electronic equipment the internal voltages an=
>losses are different than the spec., so you are not sure if you will hav=
>functional problems or if things will overheat. A lot of stuff will prob=
ably
>work OK, but you cant be sure. So the suggestion was made to use UPSs th=
at
>have a sine wave output and these are many times more expensive than the=

>ones with a square wave output.
>
>Jerry Silverman
>Greentron Inc
>4 Newland Ave