[TechAssist] flyback tested good but was bad--test equipment

  • From: Wayne Vanaman <Wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 07:11:01 -0600

I consider myself a test-equipment junkie.  I love different pieces of
test equipment.

The "thing" about test equipment is that it tests "something".  Is it
testing the correct thing?

A flyback can have a shorted HV diode.  Will a ringer test catch that?
A cap can be shorted.  Will an ESR meter catch that?  If the capacity
changed and the ESR stayed low, would an ESR meter catch it?

As for testing flybacks, I use a Digital Storage Oscilloscope with a
100x probe.  If the set tries to come on the scope will capture the
horizontal output wave form.  That will show severe distortion pointing to
1 a defective yoke  Unplug the yoke and try again.  If the distortion
goes away the yoke is bad.
2 a defective hv splitter.  Unplug the HV lead and see if the distortion
goes away.
3 a defective flyback.

In the event that a timing cap or other part in the HV section is bad it
loads the circuit without distorting the pulse.

Wayne Vanaman
Omega Electronics
6904 W Fairfield Dr
Pensacola, Fl.  32506-3310