[TechAssist] Re: amplifier problem - buzz on outputs

  • From: Al Gutz <alg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2002 21:15:30 -0500

Is the buzz present when the volume is turned off, if so noise is
originating in the power supply. What else beside the transformer get
hot, something must be drawing too much. Disconnect each of the
secondaries seperatly and see if the AC goes up, possible a leaking
rectifier in one of the supplies. 10 and 22VAC sounds low because you
most likely want to end up with a 12VDC and 35VDC supplies or on some
amps they want a +35VDC and a -35VDC, may also be bad output
transistors, are the fuses correct, fuses should blow before main
transformer heats up.

Al G
Al's TV-Electronics
Pembroke Ont
Canada

babalino wrote:

> Hello, I have an audio amplifier(150W) (240V at 50Hz) that is giving me a
> headache!
> The linear power supply seems to have a problem here.
> The output to the speakers gives a buzz on both speakers and no audio
> signal.
> The transformer in the power supply starts off cool but after 10 minutes is
> too hot too touch when I switch it off.
> I have checked all the components in the linear power supply and they seem
> ok.
> The transformer is giving me outputs of 10Vac and 22Vac
> Any ideas to track this one down.  It is a fairly old amplifier.
> Regards babalino
>
> Mr D Graham
> Grahams Electronics
> 978 Walker Road