[TechAssist] Re: Update ! Local news.......Thomson CRT plant in Marion Indiana announces closing

  • From: "Dave Huston" <HustonTV@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 18:47:41 -0500

Local Electronics Plant To Close

Thomson Electronics Employs 545 People

POSTED: 4:37 pm EST March 16, 2004

UPDATED: 4:51 pm EST March 16, 2004

CIRCLEVILLE, Ohio -- Thomson Consumer Electronics announced Tuesday that it
will close its Circleville plant by the end of the summer, forcing 545
employees out of work, according to the Chillicothe Gazette.

The electronics company blamed declining sales for the closure of the
Chillicothe facility and another in Marion, Ind., which employs 990 people,
the paper reported.

"The Circleville picture tube glass plant is impacted by falling tube demand
... and a worldwide overcapacity in glass manufacturing," the company said
in a release.

The employees will be paid for the next 90 days and will be eligible for
continued participation in Thomson's employee benefit plans, according to
the Gazette. At the conclusion of the 90 days, employees will be eligible
for layoff benefits, the paper reported.

About 400 employees were cut from the plant's workforce last summer.

This story was cut & pasted from our local TV station's website.

Dave Huston
Huston TV & Electronics
2846 Marion-Cardington Rd.E.
Marion,Oh 43302-8919