[TechAssist] Re: Sony KV35S40 CRT [more info]

  • From: Gary McCartney <number63@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 13:38:45 -0500

Sorry, I forgot to add in the original post that sometimes trying to add
magnets proves to be worthless. It all depends on how bad the tube has
been knocked. Sometimes it is a fairly simple matter (like the one I did
last week) or it won't work at all and you have to give up on it.

Gary

Yes, that is what has happened. The trinitron tubes are the worst for
this happening. I just did one the same a week ago. I used magnets on
the rear of the picture tube to correct the purity. It did pull the pin
cushion out of square in the corners but to the average home user, it
won't be all that bad. (better than throwing the set out). If you apply
magnets, turn the set off afterwards, let it cool down, rotate the set
90 degrees, then turn it on again. Check that the purity still looks ok
as to how you adjusted it with the magnets. Sometimes when the set faces
another direction, the earths magnetic influence with the magnets
changes the purity again on you and you have re- adjust. I usually try
to find out from the customer which direction they have their set
facing, and apply the magnets while the set faces that direction.  Good
luck.

Gary McCartney

McCartney Electronics
7134 Fife Rd, RR 7