[TechAssist] Sony KV32XBR55 powers on,shuts down few seconds,smell. FIX

  • From: Philip Bader <tjanphyl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 12:31:14 -0500

Powered up, heard the HV come up.(removable speakers disconnected).
Smelled oder like flyback.Tested HOT,good.NO bad solder at HOT or h.
drive transformer,tho I resoldered all over while I was there.
Found that on the side mounted power supply  "F" board,capacitor C664
(1000 mfd @16v) leaking it's s-s-smelly fluid and corroding the traces
around the dual diode  D659. (we call these fish-caps)
Scrape and clean around D659, replace C664 and resolder numerous plug
pins on the board. Unit powered up and runs OK now.
Phil Bader
--
Philip Bader
Jan Phyl TV Inc. (estab. 1976)